Tuesday, July 12, 2011

The Mysterious Story of Abductions in Zimbabwe

Eish! I have just been re-reading SW Radio Africa's Lance Guma's interview with Jane Dongo over 1999 murder of Lutheran World Federation employee Strover Mutonhori.  Dongo, is a niece to the late Mutonhori.
She talks about how Mutonhori was ‘set up’ on the night he was kidnapped and how his remains were only found some 5 months later!

This is one of the saddest personal stories in post-independence Zimbabwe! Apart from this one, we have the others like that of Patrick Nabanyama, Cain Nkala, Rashiwe Guzha, Captain Edwin Nleya, who also disappeared under very suspicious circumstances.

May God one day help us to expose the truths behind their murders! May the murderers be brought to the book of justice one day! My heart goes out to all the affected families and I pray that peace and comfort of God be with you all!

The sad thing is that the notorious cases of abductions go a long way back because there are other recorded incidences in pre-independence Zimbabwe. The most notorious of these cases is that of the nationalist Eddison Sithole.

He was a lawyer by profession, who had initially obtained a BA in Law from University of London while in detention in 1962. In so doing, he had become the second black person in Zimbabwe to be a lawyer after veteran nationalist and hero, Herbert Chitepo. However, in 1965 he obtained a Master of Law (LLM) and later an LLD, making him the first black person in the entire southern African region to attain that qualification.

Like the situation in most similar cases, Sithole’s remains were found so many years later.

However it must also be pointed out the in such cases as those of Nabamyama and Guzha, the remains are still yet to be found up to this day. Infact it appears the police have already given up and closed the official investigations around their abductions.

From a personal point of view, I must also add that I was once abducted when I was still a student leader in Harare. This was in early June 1998. At that time I was both the President of the University of Zimbabwe Students Union and also the Vice President of the Zimbabwe National Students Union (ZINASU).

I had led the University of Zimbabwe students, in partnership with the Harare Polytechnic students body in campaigning for President Robert Mugabe to step down as the head of the state. Our view at that time was that we could emulate the students in Indonesia by camping outside Parliament until Mugabe stepped down.
However, Mugabe outwitted us by forcibly closing down both colleges on the 2nd June 1998. So we only managed to sleep outside the Parliament just for one night.