Friday, October 9, 2009

Yummy Hungarian Food

As the picture of my Hungarian is really blurry, I won't be posting it up here. But she's really a darling and generous enough to invite me over to her house for lunchie which of course, traditional courses of Hungarian dishes to be expected.

I'm not going to show you the methods of how these are done as I'm also midway there myself. But of course, they taste delish and definitely are in my top 10 list of national food.

1st up, is this pancake-looking dish.

Its call Polacinta and its made of flour, an egg, water and some salt. Its a very thin layer of flour which we pan-fry it till there's brownish burnt thingy on top of it.

In this picture, cottage cheese with vanilla icing is wraped inside Polacinta and let me tell you this, its really really good (although at 1st I can't really appreciate the texture of cottage cheese).

Several different kinds of feelings could be used in Polacinta wrapping such as assortment of fruity jam or even just cocoa powder. Anything that's sweet is definitely a welcomer here.


The next one is her homemade Hungarian pasta. The ingredients of the pasta is same as Polacinta except that the amount of water is reduced to make a firmer paste. And by using this special looking mechanism (a cup on top of a scrapper looking thingy), the pasta could be made in just a jiffy (without all the fuss of rolling pin and cutting)


Here you go, that's how jiffy it is. Totally quick and easy as you move the cup back and forth. Its a pity that this gadget could be only bought in Hungary :(


Oh, here comes the leading main actor = THE MEATLOAF. Don't ask me what is this call in Hungary cuz the name is too long and my brain had decided to delete it before taking up too much of brain space.


It is made up of mince pork, salt, pepper, sugar, paprika powder, an egg, 1 sliced of squashed bread, fried onions and garlic. And this is the result of after baking it for 40 minutes.


You could see the layering here (hard boiled eggs and boiled potatoes beforehand). And this is totally fantabulous (wait, is that a word??). I just love how soft and mouldy the interior part is the how chewable the outer layer of meat is. I am definitely going to try to make this (if I'm not lazy enough).
**************************************************************************
My bf is so busy writing his journal that sometimes I feel as a gf, I really should stay by his side and give him some moral support as well as brain support (well, helping him with his grammar but really, his grammar is much better than mine). I just love staying in UK now (a few months ago, I felt that everything was dreadful). How long will I be staying here, you'd asked?? Well, maybe another 4/5 years or so :P