Monday, October 5, 2009

Chinese Chicken Stew

I absolutely love what I had done with this dish. Its full of veg and chic and the taste is superb delicious. I really don't mind eating it for days.

But of course, I refered to some recipes before modifying and changing it to suit my taste. I'm such a rebel sometimes, I can't seem to follow step-by-step, ingredients-by-ingredients, I would somehow twick the recipe to suit myself and when I get disastrous result, I would blame the recipe -__-

Anyway, here's the original recipe "Chinese Beef Stew". I just substitude the beef with 500g chicken breast fillet and pour the sauces according to my senses. Recipe taken from http://www.recipe-ideas.co.uk/recipes-6/Chinese%20Beef%20Stew.htm (really weird, I can't seem to change the website's name here!!)

Ingredients
3 lb brisket of beef or stew beef
4 tbsp peanut oil

SAUCE
2 ml fermented red bean cake (didn't add this)
3 tbsp hoisin sauce
4 tbsp shaoxing wine
4 tbsp thin soy sauce
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 whole star anise
1 tsp roasted and crushed szechwan pepper, corns
1 tsp five spice powder
2 tsp sugar
6 cup water

Directions

1. The preferred cut is brisket of beef, a boneless piece of toughmeat from the underside of the steer, because of its rich, gelatinoustexture when cooked. It is sold in Chinese meat markets as Chinesestew beef. Any tough beef cut can be used, such as boneless chuck andbottom round.

2. Trim away the outer layers of fat.

3. Cut the meat into 1 1/2 inch strips.

4. Cut the strips into cubes.

5. Brown the meat on all sides in a wok over a high flame in 3tablespoons of the oil. Set it aside.

6. In the remaining 1 tablespoon of oil, over a high flame, break upthe red bean curd with a spatula.

7. Add the remaining sauce ingredients. Bring them to a boil.

8. Add the beef to the sauce, reduce the heat to a simmer, cover thewok, and braise the beef for 2 hours. After 1 1/2 hours, add theroll-cut radish. Cook for 30 minutes more, until both the beef andradish are tender.

9. Serve the stew immediately.



And I had added carrots, cucumber, baby corn and green beans after simmering the chicken for 30 minutes, and simmer the whole pot for another 30 minutes.



Try this recipe if you really have the time. I mean it took me like about 1 hour and 45 minutes for preparation and cooking therefore don't do this in a hurry. But the after result is fabulous and I'm sure you won't regret.