Monday, February 23, 2009

Subsituting Beef With Chicken - Chilli Con Carne

Ok, my title really could delude people... So what I'm just trying to write is that I was making Hot Chilli Con Carne the other day but instead of beef, I substitude the meat with chicken...

But it turned out delicious all the same... Its said to be the fillings for mexican wrap... But I prefered it to go with rice...

The recipe ain't original cuz I twisted it a bit by leaving out some original ingredient and adding some of my prefered ones...

Here goes:
Chicken Breast (I'm not gonna say how much I'd used, but just add in according to the quantity that's alright for you and adjust the paste accordingly)
Carrots (instead of kidney beans)
1 whole big onion
3 medium size tomato
Chilli Con Carne paste (in supermarket)
Seasonings: soy sauce, pepper, sugar, water, sesame oil
Oil for frying


1. Cut the chicken breast to small pieces and mince them. This is really tough work as you don't really wanna have big chunks of mince chicken stick together... So its better to give it a thorough chop.

2. Chuck'em into a bowl and add the seasonings. It doesn't matter which one do you add 1st or last. But for me, I add'em water last. You will get a fluffy sort of texture where the minced chicken doesn't really stick together.

3. Cut up the carrots to cubes.

4. Dice the onions (hint: remember to place the onion under the water for several seconds so that when you're cutting it, it won't sting your eyes with its...umm...gas =_=)

5. Chop up the tomatoes to cubes with its skin on. this is because I still wanna keep the tomatoes shape intact (if I peel the skin off, they will tend to "fuse" into the gravy)


6. Heat up the pot and add some oil.

7. Fry the onion till its golden brown and dunk in the chicken mixture. For me, I'll fry them till their outer layer turns whitish.

8. Add in the Chilli Con Carne paste. Fry until the paste coats everything.

9. Add in water (more than enough to cover the chicken).

10. Let the water boil for 1 minute and throw in the carrots and the tomatoes.

11. Simmer them with the cover on for 10 minutes.(Don't need to put in anymore seasonings or make a starch cuz the paste is a ready to go one)

12. Serve hot with boil rice.

p/s: the corn that you see in the pic has nothing to do with the recipe...

Bon Appetite!!